Everything You Need to Know About First Flight Adventure Park in Nags Head
Situated smack dab on the Nags Head, NC sound front is one of the most physically demanding attractions on the Outer Banks. The First Flight Adventure Park opened in the spring of 2014 and since then, the outdoor aerial park has been a huge hit with vacationers looking for something more adventurous to do during their beach vacation.
An attraction that should be added to any adventure junkies OBX bucket list, the First Flight Adventure Park is situated between The Soundside Event Site and Pamlico Jack’s, and is located right behind the uber popular Dairy Queen at milepost 16 off the bypass.
A Ropes Course Located in Nags Head, NC
First Flight Adventure Park can be described as multi-level, self-guided ropes course that’s designed to cater to all skill levels and ages. Youngsters and the not-so-in-shape folks will have blast on the easier portion of the course, while the ultra-fit crowd will be put to the test!
A company called Challenge Design Innovations teamed up with Wicked Oceans to create this “hurricane” themed course that’s the first of its kind in the United States. There are a total of 42 elements and 6 zip line rides which are sure to both challenge and excite.
Ascend the ropes to the peak of the course for a breathtaking view of the ocean and sound, or swing across the zipline to achieve the unmistakable feeling of weightlessness. The highest point of First Flight Adventure Park is 50-feet above the ground, however that shouldn’t scare you, as you’ll be safe and secure in a harness the entire time.
Before your designated time, there will be a brief training session where you’ll learn more about the safety mechanisms that are in place as well as an overview of what to expect during the activity.
Stuff to Know About First Flight Adventure Park
- Each ticket is good for 2 hours of climbing on the course.
- All participants must weigh no more than 250 pounds… No exceptions!
- Pregnant women cannot participate.
- People who are under 5 feet tall MUST be participating with someone else who is at least 5 feet tall. (Must be a 1:1 ratio.)
- You must be at least 3 feet 9 inches to participate.
- Be sure to wear clothing that will allow you to stretch and move freely.
- All participants MUST wear closed-toed athletic shoes in order to participate.. which means no flip flops or sandals!
- Group rates are available in March, April, May, September, October and November.
- Group reservations must be made 2 weeks in advance and require a $150 non-refundable deposit.
- First Flight Adventure Park is open March through November.
Advanced reservations are not required, however they are HIGHLY recommended. (Especially during the summer!) There are 3 different ways to book a time slot:
- Visit the First Flight Adventure Park website and use their online booking engine to reserve your desired time slot.
- Call them at (252) 715-3622 to check availability and inquire about booking ahead of time.
- Or you can simply show up and try to get into their often busy schedule. (Onsite booking is acceptable but discouraged!)
So, if you’re looking for something a little more thrilling than splitting your time on vacation between the ocean and pool, consider giving the First Flight Adventure Park in Nags Head a try!
$49 per ticket (2 Hours)
$39 per ticket ages 9 and under (2 Hours)
It’s a little expensive, but what the hell, you’re on vacation! Save some money on lodging and use the extra cash on an activity like this. Or find a cheap place to eat for lunch or dinner. Besides, you’ll remember this when it’s January and freezing and you’re wishing it was July again. Plus, this place is owned and operated by locals, so pay the man and enjoy the thrill!
If you are staying in a vacation rental home or condo in Corolla, Duck or Southern Shores, you may want to check out the Corolla Adventure Park instead… and if you are staying on Hatteras Island, you don’t have to drive 30+ minutes north to take on a ropes course, the Kitty Hawk Kites Adventure Tower is located on the sound side at Waves Village Watersports Resort in Rodanthe, NC.