Mermaid School on the Outer Banks? Yes Way!
Have you ever wanted to be a mermaid? Now is your chance to fulfill your dreams! Seriously.
Kitty Hawk Kites, an adventure and retail leader headquartered on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, has teamed up with the Sanderling Resort in Duck, NC and Beachwoods Resort in Kitty Hawk, NC and is now offering a mermaid school for the very first time starting the summer of 2016.
Founded in 1974 by pioneer hang glider John Harris, Kitty Hawk Kites operates the largest hang gliding school in the entire world and has taught over 200,000 how to hang glide off the dunes of Jockey’s Ridge State Park. Harris has been called a visionary by some and certainly isn’t afraid to try something new. For the most part, his willingness to expand the company with new retail locations and exciting adventures has almost always paid off.
The concept for a mermaid school came from a member of the Kitty Hawk Kites crew who had a longtime interest in sirens. This new offering from Kitty Hawk Kites is sure to draw in some extra publicity for the company, as well as some added exposure for the Sanderling Resort and Beachwoods Resort.
After all, what journalist who visits the Outer Banks could resist writing an article about mermaids?!?
What does a mermaid school class include?
Each lesson lasts about an hour, and you’ll learn how to:
- Safely put on, take off, and care for your mermaid tail.
- Control your breath above and below water.
- Develop a fluid dolphin kick motion to propel you through the water with grace.
- Make all of your friends back home jealous!
After mastering your mermaid swimming techniques, you’ll be able to play some fun games and have swimming competitions with your classmates.
How Safe Are The Mermaid School Classes?
Yes, swimming with a mermaid tail on is trickier than swimming without one on, that is certainly true. According to Kitty Hawk Kites' website, you should rest assured knowing that the mermaid swimming instructors are all lifeguard certified, and they all have a background in swimming.
There is a strict 4-to-1 student to instructor ratio.
Each class takes place in a pool, which is a very controlled environment. You will NOT be taking mermaid school lessons in the Atlantic Ocean or the sound!
Who Can Take Mermaid School Lessons?
All participants are required to be competent swimmers prior to taking a mermaid lesson. Each student MUST be able to pass a swimming test prior to the start of the lesson. Students must be at least 7 years old, and participants should bring along a swimsuit (of course!) goggles, towel and a change of clothes.
Here are some of the requirements to pass the skills test:
- Back float for 30 seconds: it is important to be relaxed and feel at ease in the water
- Roll from front float to back float: must be able to turn over, remain in control and be comfortable in the water
- Swim 25 yards and breathe unassisted: must demonstrate basic swimming skills with no help from the pool sides
- Dolphin kick on the front for 5 kicks: this is the basic movement for swimming with a tail and they must be competent in this skill before performing the movement with tail
- Dolphin kick on the back for 5 kicks
- Tread water for 1 minute: this demonstrates that student is comfortable in the water
Tail fitting and rental will be provided for students partaking in the mermaid school lesson.
How Much Do Classes Cost?
At the time of writing this blog post, classes were priced at $49 per participant. Lessons are offered during the week, and you should absolutely book your time ASAP as we’re sure classes are filling up quickly!
To make your reservation, contact Kitty Hawk Kites at 1-877-359-8447 to reserve over the phone.