17 Harbour Town Lighthouse Facts Hilton Head SC
If you're looking for a picturesque and memorable experience in Hilton Head, visiting the Harbour Town Lighthouse is a must. This iconic lighthouse allows visitors to climb to the top for panoramic views of the surrounding area.
You can see the stunning beauty of the Calibogue Sound, Daufuskie Island, and the surrounding marshland from the top. Not only is the view breathtaking, but visitors can also learn about the history of the lighthouse and the area through the exhibits inside the lighthouse museum.
In this article, I'll be sharing 17 interesting facts about the Harbour Town Lighthouse.
- The Harbour Town Lighthouse is located in Harbour Town Marina, part of the Sea Pines Resort on Hilton Head Island.
- The lighthouse is one of the most iconic landmarks on the island and is easily recognizable by its distinctive red and white stripes.
- It was built in 1969 and stands 90 feet tall.
- The lighthouse was designed by Charles Fraser, the founder of Sea Pines Resort, and his brother Joseph Fraser, a local architect.
- The lighthouse is open to the public, and visitors can climb to the top for panoramic views of the marina and surrounding areas.
- There are 114 steps to the top of the lighthouse.
- The top of the lighthouse offers stunning views of the Calibogue Sound and the Atlantic Ocean.
- The lighthouse has been featured in several movies and TV shows, including the opening credits of "Hart to Hart."
- The light beam at the top of the lighthouse can be spotted up to 25 miles away.
- The Harbour Town Lighthouse is home to the Harbour Town Lighthouse Museum, which exhibits the lighthouse's history and the island. The museum also has a collection of historical artifacts, including a Fresnel lens from the original Hilton Head lighthouse, which was destroyed during the Civil War.
- The lighthouse is a popular spot for sunset photos and proposals.
- The Harbour Town Lighthouse is often used as a symbol of Hilton Head Island and is featured in many advertisements and promotional materials.
- In 2007, the lighthouse underwent a significant renovation, which included replacing the original wooden stairs with metal ones and adding an elevator for accessibility.
- The Harbour Town Lighthouse is one of only a few privately-owned lighthouses in the United States.
- The lighthouse is located within walking distance of several restaurants, shops, and other attractions in Harbour Town.
- The Harbour Town Lighthouse is also a popular spot for fishing and crabbing.
- The lighthouse hosts several events throughout the year, including a Halloween festival and a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
If you're planning a trip to Hilton Head, add the Harbour Town Lighthouse to your itinerary!